Make your own free website on

Mail Call

Letters from the Crew

Dennis Rowe I was a ETN2, LPO of ETs and RM's until a RM1 came aboard. I do not remember names, but there was a LCDR, ex corpsman EM, who was relieved by a LT who was an acamdemy graduate, real close to Christmas 1971. We were in Camh Ran bay for a couple of weeks and I think the PCO came aboard there. We made it to PI for Christmas, and if I remember correctly, the change of command was held at sea and the LCDR left in PI.
I remember the LCDR real well as he was always down on the ensign we had for an ops boss. I was POW once when CO called on 21MC and told me to go on the 1MC and say "Mr. X, get your ass the captains cabin on the double!", and pass it exactly like that, he said. The ensign came to the quarterdeck with blood in his eyes, until I told him the skipper said to pass it like that. He turned white!
Lot of good sea stories from the mighty Moc!
After 16 USN, I got out and went reserves, retireing from the air force reserves after 16 active navy, 6 navy reserve and 3 air force reserve. I feel strange with an ID that says Air Force, Retired!
I would be interested in a reunion particularly if I could combine it with a trip for my grandsons wedding in the midwest this fall.
Dennis Rowe
GS12 CSRS ret

From: Donald M. Adkins aka Domenic, 62-64, En3, 1126 12th Ave. Suite 205 Honolulu, Hawaii 96816, In Adak Alaska the watch blew the boiler stack and I was on shore with others
having a few and upon returning to the ship Mr. Stewart said Adkins get up there
and help weld the stack and he said to the rest go hit your bunks
you are in no shape to do anything,,, well, I was the one that had the most
to drink, But the only place it was warm was up in the stack welding
so I was lucky you might say. In Guam taking the old man fishing in his gig so he could drink his Gin and Tonic
was a trusted secret and with trust he repaid in his own way.
Recovering the lost canoe in the PI was also great???? We did anything that needed
to be done on the Mighty "Q"
During the time I spent on the Quapaw it seamed like we were always out to sea
going somewhere and helping others. For a small ship it had a history before
and after I was aboard and that is a great tribute to the service it and the crews
provided for our Nation.
Thanks for the memories

In July I took my wife, Shirley, daughter, Kathy, and her three children,
Matthew 16,Nathan 14, and Becky 10 on board the Tamaroa Ship. We were greeted
by Harry and Shirley Jaeger. Harry is the director of the Tamaroa Maritime
Foundation Inc. We spent a Friday and Saturday night on board,
and thanks to Shirley Jaeger ate three delicious meals in the galley and slept
on clean sheets even through they were made up on bunk beds in the officer's
quarters. The boys took their mats and slept on deck under the stars.
It is a good thing that we are all use to primitive camping because there was no
running water on board.

Harry put us all to work on Saturday (even my Shirley). We painted all morning
and afternoon. The kids were treated by a swim at the Marina pool
later in the day. I really enjoyed taking my grandkids on a tour from bow
to the stern of the ship.

The ship is currently docked innerharbor in Baltimore, MD. The Tamaroa is the
only ship remaining from the battle of Iwo Jima. It was a Navy ship (Zuni)
then a Coast Guard ship, then privately owned. It was then bought by a foundation,
made up mostly of people who served on it or similar ships. It is presently being
restored and will be moved to West Point, VA, where it will serve as a museum and
training center.

If you are ever in the area, take the opportunity to visit the ship and the
foundation can always use financial and volunteer help.
Kenneth Kuhn

Dear Marty,
I served aboard the Quapaw from December of 72 until July of 76.
I went from a seaman recruit to a SM2. On top of that, I requested diving school
right away and got it. So, I was also lead diver on the Quapaw by 1974.
Carl Brashiers the famous black diver came aboard the Quapaw in late 75
or early 76 to inspect our diving locker. I was very nervous but we passed
with flying colors. Serving aboard the Quapaw is one of the greatest experiences
of my life. I am honored to have had that outstanding opportunity.
Sincerely, Jim Best

I was sitting around thinking (painful for me) because if I wasn't doing that
I would have to clean the basement and mow the lawn. Any way, our trip to Mazatlan
in 83 or 84 came to mind. I had taken a friends kid along as a Tiger. He turned out
to be a heavy smoker and a pretty heavy drinker. I believe someone in deck got him
to eat part of a bar stool cover while we were down there.

Heading back to Hueneme we had a heavy storm chasing us. One of the mains was down
hard waitng for parts so we had three and a following sea. I took over the EOOW
for the 16 - 20 watch. I have never figured out what came over me but I decided to
balance the engines by load instead of RPM. Before long the bridge was calling down
(Medberry was on watch) asking what was going on. It would seem that miraculously we
were making a better speed over ground than the ship was rated on all four mains and
a 70 knot pusher wind. By the end of my watch we were making 20 knots good over
ground. Of course the Cheng, CWO4 James, came down to congratulate me (stand by).
He had a simple question "Petty Officer Glosson, what did you do?" So, I told him.
From that point on it was rather loud in main control. Cheng had just come from #1
engine room (no warning from my watch standers) where he had strobed the engines.
It would seem that although I made good use of our power plant I had one engine
within a couple RPM of overspeed and the other two not far behind. Bobby didn't fire
me that night but I doubt I was his favorite turd at the time either.
Moral of this story? None, but we did outrun the storm!
Mark Glosson